Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® is a program developed by the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI). With a core philosophy of providing for the Care, Welfare, Safety, and Security of everyone involved in a crisis situation, the program’s proven strategies give educators the skills to both de-escalate disruptive behaviour, while also teaching skills to safely respond to various levels of risk behaviour.
Specific objectives of the program include:
- How to identify behaviors that could lead to escalating behaviour from students and adults
- How to effectively respond to behaviors to prevent the situation from escalating
- How staff fear and anxiety influence student behaviour
- How to use verbal and nonverbal techniques to defuse behavior and resolve a situation before it escalates or potentially leads high risk behaviour
- How to assess risk levels and consider the issues that impact decision making
- How to establish therapeutic rapport after a crisis has taken place
To learn more about Nonviolent Crisis Intervention and offerings within our District, please contact:
- Nadine Naughton, Principal – Victor School and District Lead Instructor – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessie Moore, District Vice-Principal – Victor School and Instructor – email@example.com
- Tara Leach, Administrative Assistant, Learning Support – firstname.lastname@example.org
CPI Year at a Glance 2022-2023
NOTE: These offerings are for SD 61 employees only.